Are farmers classified as key workers?

Some schools will remain open to ensure provision for vulnerable children and for key workers’ children up to the end of Year 10.

Consider only sending your child to school if there are no other viable arrangements; schools should be open to vulnerable children or those who have a parent/carer who is a key worker in relation to dealing with the Covid-19 response. Both parents/carers do not have to be key workers.

Farmers are considered as key workers and fall under the ‘food and other necessary goods’ category detailed below. A full list of key workers can be found here.

  • Food and other necessary goods. This includes those involved in food production, processing, distribution and sale, as well as those essential to the provision of other key goods (e.g. hygiene, medical etc) 

More information can be found here.


CAFRE Students

CAFRE placement students can remain at placement farm if both the student and host farm agree. Whilst Farm Relief Services are not recruiting at the moment, CAFRE have put a notice out to agriculture students to let them know that if they are interested and available for farm relief work at present and over the coming weeks then they should submit their details to Farm Relief Services. They will then be contacted if they are required.

CAFRE are still delivering remotely to the students and most have coursework to complete and submit over the remainder of the academic year but hopefully some will be able to balance their studies with farm relief work if required.


Can I still apply for CAFRE education course?

Applications to all CAFRE education courses are being processed as normal and prospective students should visit the CAFRE website for further information on all our courses and to apply online. Specific course enquiries should be directed to the CAFRE enquiries email account at or to the CAFRE free phone number on 0800 0284291.

CAFRE industry training short courses are currently postponed